Skip To Main Content

Title I - LAP Information

Title I and LAP (Learning Assistance Program)

Title and LAP programs provide qualifying students extra help in reading to improve their academic achievement, through our elementary WIN (What I Need) Reading Program. Our schools receive funding through two programs: one is federally funded, while the other is state funded. Both serve the same purpose: to provide extra support to help our students improve in reading to meet grade level benchmarks.

Materials being used: Materials used in the TITLE I and LAP programs are consistent across all our schools and have been purchased by LAP and Title I funds.

Contact Information:
Director of Equity and Categorical Services  |  Monica Heimbigner  |  425-831-8037
Executive Secretary  |  Darlene Lane  |  425-831-8018
Data Analyst  |  Thomas Eyler  |  425-831-3882
More Information: 4130: Title I/LAP Parent Involvement

Additional Title 1/LAP Information

Title 1

Title I is a federally funded program for students struggling in basic skills such as reading. Title I Part A is one of the many programs governed by ESA. The level of funding received from the federal government determines the schools with Title I programs, and each site determines the skill areas to address for students. We have Targeted Assistance models in our schools, which means that just those who meet specific criteria are provided extra support through small group instruction, individual help, or specialized instruction. 

Below is the official Title 1 flyer from OSPI. 

Learning Assistance Program (LAP)

Learning Assistance Program (LAP) is a state funded program for students struggling in basic skills such as reading. For 11th and 12th graders, LAP can provide support for students at risk of not graduating. The level of funding received from the state determines the schools with LAP programs, and each site determines the skill areas to address for students.

SVSD Title 1/LAP Flyer

For a printed copy, please contact the SVSD main office at (425) 831-8040.

List of Title 1/LAP Schools

LAP Schools
Cascade View Elementary
Fall City Elementary
Opstad Elementary
Timber Ridge Elementary  

Title I Targeted Assistance Schools
North Bend Elementary
Snoqualmie Elementary 

What I Need (WIN) Program

Our elementary WIN Reading programs use a balanced and comprehensive guided reading instructional approach that provides explicit instruction in phonological awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary, reading comprehension, oral language skills, and writing. Literacy Footprints, 95% Phonics Lesson Library, Leveled Literacy Intervention (LLI) and Wilson Fundations are the primary, intervention curriculums used to meet the reading needs of our most struggling readers, including those who display characteristics of dyslexia. Qualifying students receive this supplementary, small-group literacy instruction 30 minutes per day, Monday-Friday. Progress is monitored through the use of the Acadience Reading, our SVSD normed referenced assessment.


Tips and Strategies For Family Reading
OSPI Report Card
Suggested Websites
iPad Apps

Notice to Parents of Students Receiving Title I Services

Right to review teacher qualifications:  As a parent of a Title I student in the Snoqualmie Valley School District, you have the right to know the professional qualifications of the classroom teachers who instruct your child. Federal law allows you to ask for certain information about your child’s classroom teachers and requires us to give you this information in a timely manner if you ask for it. Specifically, you have the right to ask for the following information about each of your child’s classroom teachers:

If you would like to receive any of this information, please call SVSD Human Resources, 425-831-8000.

Complaints Related to Federal Programs: A citizen complaint is a written statement that alleges a violation of a federal rule, law or regulation or state regulation that applies to a federal program. Anyone can file a citizen complaint. There is no special form. There is no need to know the law that governs a federal program to file a complaint.

To file a citizen complaint, visit the OSPI website to learn more. Information is provided on steps to file a citizen complaint against:

  • Whether the state’s Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) has licensed or qualified the teacher for the grades and subjects he or she teaches.
  • Whether OSPI has decided that the teacher can teach in a classroom without being licensed or qualified under state regulations because of special circumstances.
  • The teacher’s college major; whether the teacher has any advanced degrees and, if so, the subject of the degrees.
  • Whether any instructional assistants provide instructional services to your child and, if they do, their qualifications.
  • a school district, educational service district (ESD), or other school service provider (subgrantee); and,
  • Washington State’s Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI).